Gambia 2016 Elections story so far…
The outgoing President of The Gambia Yahya Jammeh, has refused to step down…..stating that “Unless the court decides the case, there will be no inauguration on 19 January 2017”
President Yahya Jammeh, announced on Friday 9, December 2016 that QUOTE
“After a thorough investigation, I have decided to reject the outcome of the recent election. I lament serious and unacceptable abnormalities which have reportedly transpired during the electoral process,” he further added “I recommend fresh and transparent elections which will be officiated by a god-fearing and independent electoral commission,”
Some Gambians are very shocked and confused to the sudden u-turn decision. This is because Jammeh had conceded defeat on state TV just the week before…. and even called the newly elected Gambian president Adama Barrow to congratulate him QUOTE ‘You are the elected president of The Gambia, and I wish you all the best” Yahya Jammeh
Yahya Jammeh, who took power in the 1994 military coup had banned the internet and international phone calls during the presidential elections that was held
According to reports, tension is mounting in Gambia now, this has even prompted most international countries to plead with the incumbent President to let peace prevail.
President Yahya Jammeh, who has been in power for 20 years and seeking to be in power for the 5th time had warned natives on post election violence.
The banning of all internet and international phone calls in The Gambia left many families in the Diaspora very worried and scared as they can’t get in touch with their family nor loved ones.
One can only pray and hope for smooth transfer of power
- The most spectacular oceanside venue for hire in Ghana
- Ghana Election 2016 Countdown: Nana Akufo Addo vs John Mahama
- Remembering Former Prominent NPP Members
- First Africans On Earth
- President John Mahama of Ghana inaugurated the newly built Cape Coast Kotokuraba Market
- 47 years ago Nana Addo’s father Edward Akufo-Addo was also the president of Ghana.
- Why Ghana is fast becoming a hub for African Americans…
- Happy Birthday President John Dramani Mahama
- Celebs who give back